Bachelor of Actuarial Studies
Study in Australia
First actuarial studies program in the English speaking world, longest running program (40 years) of its type in Australia. One-third to one-half of qualified actuaries in Australia are Macquarie graduates.
Actuaries analyse and manage the financial consequences of risky events. All sorts of risks: Risk of Death / Sickness, Natural Hazards (cyclone, earthquake, bushfire) Financial Risks (shares, bonds, exchange rates). Actuaries analyse and manage the risks of financial contracts, insurance and retirement funds. They also help manage and control financial institutions. Actuaries relate numbers to real life.
In this actuarial studies degree you’ll learn to conduct mathematical, statistical, economic and financial analysis to a range of practical problems faced in long-term financial planning and management.
Very strong industry links through capstone and professional subjects including the actuarial control cycle.
- Recognised by the Actuaries Institute as a Centre of excellence in actuarial education.
- You will learn from highly experienced lecturers and members of the Actuaries Institute.
- Many Macquarie actuarial graduates hold senior positions in the financial services industry.
- You will learn to apply knowledge and concepts to problems in insurance, banking, finance and superannuation.
- This degree provides a comprehensive understanding in not only actuarial studies but also in economics, accounting, mathematics, statistics and finance.
Session 1 (March)
3 years full-time
If you are interested in long term financial planning and management and would like to apply mathematics, statistics, economics and financial analysis to practical problems.
- Required: Advanced knowledge of mathematics (HSC Mathematics Extension 1 band E4, or international equivalent)
- Recommended: Advanced knowledge of mathematics (HSC Mathematics Extension 1 and 2 with a total mark of at least 180, or international equivalent)