Hotel and Food Services Management MSc
Here at BU we have more than 1,800 international students from over 130 countries studying with us.
- We currently house the largest postgraduate centre for tourism in the UK
- We have run innovative and industry-led Hospitality courses since 1977
- United Nations World Tourism Organisation – Tourism Education Quality accreditation for BU tourism provision was awarded in 2010
- We are also home to three reputed research centres: International Centre for Tourism and Hospitality Research, The Market Research Group and the newest being the Centre for Event & Sport Research. This multidisciplinary centre focuses on events, sport and retail with recent work exploring sport participation and spectatorship and sport tourism.
- The course is delivered within a specialist School in which there is a specific focus on Hotel, Food Service and Food and Drink
- Our graduates will develop a broad range of professional, technical and transferrable skills required by the industry
- We work very closely with the major organisations within the Hotel and Food Service and Food Industries
- All students will be invited to attend our Hospitality Student Conference in London, which is usually sponsored by industry
- Optional one year work placement, designed to enhance employability.
This course is aimed at students who have successfully undertaken an undergraduate course and who have an ambition and interest to work within the Hotel, Food and Drink and Food Service industries in a management position.
This Master’s degree is intended to provide you with both an advanced understanding of the Hotel and Food Services industries as well as a managerial perspective of how to run such operations. It is anticipated that on completion of this course, you will have the capacity to be involved in more analytical and developmental perspectives of the industries concerned and will develop a more strategic insight of the industries and issues affecting these industries than at undergraduate level.
The emphasis of this course is on accommodation management, food and drink and the food service sector. As such, this is a course with an operational management focus although it will also provide you with the opportunity to identify and engage with selected areas of specialism within these industries such as revenue management, IT applications, human resource management etc.
You will also have access to a wide range of extra curricula activities and qualifications, such as our visiting speakers programme for example representatives from Hilton International, Shangri-la Hotels, Fairmont Hotels, Le Manior aux Quat Saisons and many more. You will have the opportunity to attend our annual hospitality student conference and the opportunity to undertake added value courses such as the Wine and Spirits Trust Award, trips to the World Travel and Tourism Market, London and the HOTS Hotel Simulation package.
The School of Tourism has been undertaking degrees in this area for more than 35 years and has a world renowned reputation and extensive international network of alumni and employers who both recognise and specifically recruit from these courses.
As part of this course you can take an optional 30-week work placement which directory provides an insight into the operation or management of Hotels or Food Services. The placement will take place after the taught elements of the course are complete.