As a modern university with an international focus, we are proud to welcome over 2000 international students to the Preston Campus each year, representing over 100 nationalities. Our Preston campus is a modern green oasis in the heart of England’s newest city. It is home to students and staff from many different social and ethnic backgrounds across the UK and almost every country in the world. A large and thriving city, Preston is served by major road, rail and air transport, making Preston an ideal location for national and international travel. Most university buildings are within ten minute walk of each other and there are fantastic new facilities for academic study and research in all disciplines, including cutting edge study environments in business, social sciences and law. Campus developments continue to grow in strength. UCLan is gaining a national and international reputation as one of the UK’s most innovative Universities. UCLan has evolved into one of the largest universities in the UK with over 32,000 students from across the world and a dynamic portfolio of over 500 undergraduate and 180 postgraduate programmes.
Why choose UCLAN – University of Central Lancashire?
Pre-sessional English courses are short, intensive English language preparation courses for students who have been accepted onto an undergraduate or postgraduate course at Glasgow Caledonian University and wish to improve their English language skills quickly.
Tuition fees at Glasgow Caledonian University include all tuition, library, examination and administrative costs.
For overseas students, annual tuition fees for 2014/2015 vary from £10,200 – £14,500. Depending on your choice of study programme,
The easiest way to apply for a postgraduate programme is using our online application form. This form is simple to complete and allows you to upload additional documentation to support your application.
At peak times the university receives an exceptionally high volume of applications and enquiries, we will make every effort to respond to applicants as soon as possible.
Please note that it may take slightly longer than usual to respond to your enquiry or provide an initial decision on your application.
Please include the following documentation along with your application to ensure we can process your application without delay:
- Copies of any relevant academic qualifications you hold and any you are currently studying towards
- A copy of your passport (for international applicants only)
- Two letters of reference provided on headed paper (one academic and one employer)
- UCLan is a modern university with its roots dating back to 1828
- UCLan provides outstanding support for international students, recognised by its ranking in the International Student Barometer
- UCLan offers over 500 undergraduate courses and approximately 250 taught postgraduate programmes, serving 32,000 students
- UCLan has the 7th best teaching quality in England and an excellent research record in law
- Quality standards in information, advice and student guidance students
- UCLan attracts over 100 different nationalities onto its campus
- UCLan is the leading UK university for overseas education
- UCLan has a 110-seater independent cinema, mock court room and virtual court room
In the National Student Survey 2013:
- Student satisfaction at UCLan has risen with nearly 8.5 students out of 10 saying they are happy with the quality of their overall educational experience.
- UCLan’s overall satisfaction rating has risen to 84%, which is an increase of 2% on the previous two years.
- A range of important academic areas have seen increases in satisfaction levels in the past year, including:
- teaching – +2% to 85%
- academic support +1% to 80%
- learning resources +2% to 88%.
QS WORLD RANKINGS
In 2010, UCLan became the first modern university to appear in the QS World University Rankings.
- In 2012, following a detailed independent analysis of all UCLan’s educational provision (the ‘QS Stars Development Road Map) the University was awarded four stars out of a maximum of five. According to the QS, a typical four stars university is: ‘highly international, demonstrating excellence in both research and teaching. The institution provides an excellent environment for students and faculty’.
- Within the sub-areas which make up the overall grading, UCLan was awarded the maximum of five stars for teaching, infrastructure, internationalisation and engagement.
- Typical indicators which made up the ‘teaching’ score include: domestic teaching quality assessments, collation of student feedback, national student surveys and student faculty ratios.
- Typical indicators which made up the ‘infrastructure’ score include: sporting and medical facilities, student societies, student accommodation, IT infrastructure and library facilities.
- UCLan’s Lancashire Law School is ranked within the elite top 200 Law Schools in the World in the current QS world ranking table.
The Times Good University Guide 2013
- UCLan’s spend on academic services was ranked 30th out of 116 universities
- Our facilities spend was ranked 19th out of 116 universities nationally and second in the North West
- We are ranked in the top 25% of institutions for Communication and Media Studies (23rd out of 90)
- We are ranked 8th for graduate prospects.
- Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation & Tourism was ranked 17th out of 57, 8th for graduate prospects and in the top ten for teaching.
- Psychology was ranked 33 out of 111
- Within subjects Allied to Medicine, our student satisfaction was rated 3rd highest in the UK
COMPLETE UNIVERSITY GUIDE 2014
- UCLan is ranked in the top 20 nationally and is in second position within the region in terms of facilities spend, which measures the expenditure per student on staff and student facilities (=19th overall; 6th modern; 5th 1992; 2nd in the Northwest; 4th Million+).
- UCLan is ranked 30th overall within the category of academic services spend which measures the spend per student on academic services; and 4th modern; 3rd 1992; 3rd in the Northwest; 3rd Million+.
- In subject tables, UCLan has improved its performance in 20 of the subjects in which we appear.
- We are in the top 25% of institutions for Communication and Media Studies.
- We are in the top 50% of institutions for Business Studies, English, Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation & Tourism, Psychology and Sports Science.
THE TIMES HIGHER EDUCATION NATIONAL EXPERIENCE SURVEY 2013
- UCLan appears in 36th place overall, rising from 38th place last year,
- UCLan ranks in the top ten overall for good library and library opening hours (9th) and good personal relationship with teaching staff (5th).
- UCLan is ranked third in the North West. Also in the North West, UCLan features in the top four for 21 of the 22 aspects and takes the top spot for having good personal relationships with teaching staff and good library and library opening hours.
UNDERGRADUATE UCLAN SPORT SCHOLARSHIP
Talented athletes may be eligible for financial support from one of UCLan’s ‘Excellence in Sport’ Scholarships. Successful applicants will receive a number of benefits throughout their three years at UCLan. In return you are expected to represent UCLan in your chosen sport in competitions ran by the British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS).
There are 20 scholarships available across all sports and each one is worth £4000. The funding will be paid in instalments over a three year period: £2000 in year one, £1000 in year two and £1000 in year three. To ensure you receive your benefits students must be enrolled and progressing on their chosen course.